Currently accepting applications for January 2022 program!
Join Women in Linework
A career as a lineworker offers excellent salary job stability, great benefits, and opportunities for advancement. It is also a great way to serve your community. Join Women in Linework (WiL) and let the future begin.
Along with IMPACT Community Action and other agencies that support women in the workforce, we’ve designed a 14-month training program to get your linework career off the ground. WiL is currently available to women living in or near Columbus, OH. Program locations throughout AEP’s 11-state territory may be added in the future.
A lineworker education designed to develop skills and competencies you need to be successful
Earn a seat in AEP Ohio’s Line School
As a participant in Women in Linework, you’ll receive the necessary foundation and training to become a skilled worker in a well-paid field with high demand for workers. The training is currently hosted at the AEP Ohio training facility in Groveport, OH. You’ll create friendships and a support network in the classroom and the field, alongside other women.
And there’s more
May be eligible to receive income in the form of stipends from our community partners.
Foundations for your Future
Receive the support and training to make a successful transition into the career of linework and be career-ready upon graduation from WiL.
Training & License Examples
Obtain the credentials you need, including Class A -Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) and Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) 30 Certification.
Receive guidance from mentors to help you navigate the challenges and celebrate the successes together.
Are you ready to take steps to become a lineworker?
Step 1: Apply for WiL
- Age 18 and older
- High school diploma or GED
- "Safety First" attitude
- Live within 45 minute drive to Columbus City
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to pass DOT drug screen and DOT physical
- Passion to serve the community
Step 2: Learn in WiL
- To climb and work from elevated surfaces
- To lift and carry heavy objects
- To operate tools and technology safely
- Core basic line work skills and ability to apply in work situations
- Obtain CDL (Commercial Drivers License)
Step 3: Thrive at WiL
- Develop a wide range of technical and professional competencies
- Successfully complete all Pre-Employment Requirements
- Develop professional peer and professional network
- Develop professionally and financially with meaningful work