Kentucky Power Contributions
At Kentucky Power, we believe not only is it our job to provide safe, reliable and affordable electricity to our customers in eastern Kentucky, but also to be active supporters of many outstanding charitable organizations, nonprofit groups, educational institutions, and civic entities in the communities we serve.
Whether it is investing in economic development projects or supporting our senior residents, community involvement is important to Kentucky Power employees. We live and work here with our families, so we believe it is important to invest our money and our time to work toward a brighter future for all.
Although budget limitations never allow us to make allow the monetary contributions we would like, we strive to support as many worthy causes as we can. In addition to funds contributed by shareholders, our employees spend countless hours sharing their free time and talents to numerous schools, boards, organizations, fairs and other volunteer activities. This employee and corporate giving highlights our commitment to our communities.
Part of being a good corporate citizen is investing in the groups that make our region strong. In 2017, Kentucky Power contributed about $55,000 to community organizations. Kentucky Power also in 2016 made nearly $105,000 in contributions earmarked for 2017, bringing total support for local organizations and initiatives to about $160,000. In addition, the American Electric Power Foundation contributed nearly $860,000 in 2017 for projects in eastern Kentucky. Nearly $782,000 also went to communities in our service territory for economic development for a total of nearly $2 million in our eastern Kentucky communities.
Some of the significant charitable contributions, sponsorships and donations Kentucky Power and the American Electric Power Foundation provided to our communities last year:
- $500,000, Kentucky Educational Development Corp.
- $182,697, Ashland Community and Technical College
- $155,500, American Red Cross Northeast Kentucky Chapter
- $122,000, eKentucky Advanced Manufacturing Institute
- $25,000, God’s Pantry Foodbank
- $15,000, Summer Motion of Ashland
- $6,100, Kentucky River Area Development District
Thank you for this opportunity to illustrate our commitment to eastern Kentucky through our investments in our future and the lives of those we serve.
Matthew J. Satterwhite
President & Chief Operating Officer
Organizations supported by Kentucky Power in 2017
- American Cancer Society
- American Red Cross Bluegrass Area Chapter
- American Red Cross -KY Chapter Services
- American Red Cross Northeast Kentucky Chapter
- Appalachian Artisan Center of KY, Inc.
- Appalachian Pregnancy Care Center
- ARH Foundation
- Ashland Alliance Foundation
- Ashland Community and Technical College
- Big Sandy Area Development District, Inc.
- Big Sandy Community & Technical College
- Carter County Thunder, Inc.
- Christmas for Charity, Inc.
- Commonwealth Fund for KET
- Community & Technical College Foundation of Ashland, Inc.
- God’s Pantry Foodbank
- Governor's Scholars Program Foundation, Inc.
- Hazard Independent College Foundation
- Hospice of the Bluegrass Mountain Community Hospice
- Jenny Wiley Theatre
- Jingle Bell Charity
- Junior Achievement of the Bluegrass, Inc.
- KDMC Health Foundation
- Kentucky Apple Festival
- Kentucky Chamber of Commerce
- Kentucky Coalition Against Domestic Violence
- Kentucky Educational Development Corporation
- Kentucky River Area Development District
- Kentucky River Community Care, Inc.
- Lawrence County Septemberfest
- Northeastern Kentucky American Red Cross
- Our Lady of Bellefonte Hospital Auxiliary Golf Benefit
- Paramount Arts Center, Inc.
- Roy E. Collier Community Center
- Southeast Kentucky Chamber of Commerce
- Stinnett Area Community Center
- Summer Motion, Inc.
- The Challenger Learning Center of Kentucky
- United Way of Boyd/Greenup Counties
- United Way of Northeast Kentucky