We're Here for You American Electric Power is committed to the health and safety of our customers, communities and employees as we closely monitor the COVID-19 pandemic. Learn more×
We’re redefining the future of energy and developing forward-thinking solutions that provide both clean and affordable energy to power the communities we serve. Our goal? Produce and deliver energy that empowers positive social, economic and environmental change.
We’ve come a long way since 2005 when our generation capacity was 70% coal-fueled. As we move toward cleaner generation, we understand the importance of a diverse fuel mix creating the lower emissions energy our customers want while also reducing our environmental footprint.
Reduced carbon dioxide emissions 65% from
Reduced sulfur dioxide emissions 97% from
Reduced nitrogen oxide emissions 94% from
Reduced mercury emissions 97% from 2001-2019
Transforming Our Generation Fleet - AEP's Generating Resource Portfolio
AEP is at the forefront of the energy industry’s transformation. We’ve developed next-generation sustainability goals to guide us as we create a brighter energy future. Some highlights of our clean energy strategy include:
- Reducing Carbon Dioxide emissions by 70% by 2030 and 80% by 2050
- Adding more than 8,000 megawatts of regulated wind and solar through 2030
- Investing $2.3 billion in renewables through 2024
- Continuing investment in a smarter, more modern power grid
- Educating customers on how to optimize their energy efficiency
- Advocating for and enabling wider usage of electric vehicles
Through our strategic initiatives, we’re committed to providing the energy our customers need while reducing our environmental footprint.Read report
TRANSFORMING RAYS TO WATTS
We’re capturing the sun’s potential and turning it into emissions-free energy to power homes, businesses and communities across the country.
- From 2020 to 2030, we plan to add more than 4,100 megawatts of solar energy to our portfolio.
HARNESSING THE WIND
With the help of wind turbines, we’re taking one of nature’s most powerful forces and converting it into clean electricity.
- The purchase of Sempra Renewables LLC adds 724 megawatts of wind generation and battery storage to our competitive renewable operations. With the addition of wind farms in seven states, we’re one of the largest utility owners of competitive wind projects in the nation.
- We plan to add more than 3,900 megawatts of new wind in our regulated states through 2030.
- Our joint venture Desert Sky and Trent Mesa wind farms in west Texas produce enough energy to power 75,000 homes.